16 Aralık 2012 Pazar

Avengers Arena #1

To contact us Click HERE
First review of the week is the spiritual successor to my favorite comic series of 2011, Avengers Academy.  I am SO worried about this comic and what I think will happen in it, but I'll go into this with an open mind.....

Avengers Arena #1

Summary: Okay, this review isn't gonna be that hard to punch out because it was simplistic and we all pretty much knew what was gonna happen going in.  Arcade(yes, the super-lame, disco-dressing, 1970's villain), has managed to kidnap 16 teenage super-heroes, including several who were with the Avengers Academy because, apparently, the Avengers have NO security to speak of.  Arcade tells the kids he'd give them food/water/medicine, but that they had to kill each other to get it.  The kids attack him, but Arcade shows off god-like powers and defeats all of them with ease.  Which naturally points to that being one of Arcade's robots, but goddamn, that's one strong-ass robot!  After Arcade proves that nobody can beat him, he tells them to choose the weakest link to serve as the first death.  Hazmat has enough of Arcade's talking(You and me both, Hazmat...  You and me both...) and attacks him, so Arcade decides to make her the first victim.  Mettle, Hazmat's boyfriend, steps forward and tells Arcade he was the weakest link, so Arcade makes him explode, ending this issue.

Thoughts: Okay, first off, JT is gonna HATE this comic!!!  Mettle was his favorite character in Avengers Academy.  I texted him after I read this issue and warned him not to read it and his reply was, "Mettle died, didn't he..."  So yeah.  Sucks for him and the rest of us Avengers Academy fans.  Luckily for me, my two favorite Avengers Academy kids(Striker and Finesse) aren't in this title, so I can breathe easier.  As for Mettle, I'm going to cross my fingers and hold out hope that he's still alive.  It's Arcade.  It HAD to be an illusion, right?  I mean he can't have the power to snap his fingers and make Mettle explode, or he'd have done that to Colossus years ago!  That's what I'm going with right now though.  That a lot of this is smoke and mirrors.  Illusions.  Special effects.  But then again, Arcade DID teleport people THROUGH a defense system that Jocasta, and probably Hank Pym and Tony Stark had a hand in building, so who knows.  At the end of the day(and the end of this post!), this series was basically what I expected it to be.  A dumb premise and a "shocking" death.  It's still Arcade doing stuff he shouldn't be able to do.  I mean was the Collector not available as a villain or something?!  On top of that, what the HELL was with X-23!?  She just STANDS there and does NOTHING while Arcade is murdering her teammate?!  I'll tell you this, if Wolverine was there, there's NO WAY he'd stand there and let somebody else sacrifice themselves.  And there is reason #5,614 why I can't stand X-23.  I'll keep reading this series, mainly out of loyalty to some of the characters.  But as the deaths mount, my interest will wane and I can easily see this as a book that gets dropped down the road(if it lasts that long).  I'm extremely curious to see what other fans of Avengers Academy think because we were a VERY loyal bunch of fans.  I can't imagine THIS issue went down very well with most of them...

Score: 6 out of 10.
avengers arena #1
So in a Universe with Dr. Doom, Magneto, Green Goblin, Apocalypse, Kang, Ultron, Sinister, and a ton of other great villains, this book picks...  Arcade...  Fail.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder